By Starla Jordan
“By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches, and honour, and life.”
Humility: Have free from pride (arrogance), not thinking you are better than others, admit when you are
wrong, see other person’s ideas or ways may be better than yours.
Opposite to humility is:
Pride (arrogance): A person who only thinks of themselves and sees themselves as higher and better than
others, they don’t recognize their flaws (faults).
Because of our sin nature, we all struggle with pride. We must watch out for our pride and be careful, be
Christ is our best example of humility! We will look at some example Christ set for us. 1 Peter 2:21, Philippians 2:5-8
I. Jesus went to the lowest. 2 Corinthians 8:9
- Born in a poor family. Luke 2:7
- We can go low when we do things out of our comfort zone – talk to different people.
- Take time for the children and older people who can’t move around much.
- Jesus washed the disciples’ feet.
- Some people can be hard to help, but still help them.
- Visit people in hospital and go to baby showers, weddings, etc…
II. Jesus was innocent – yet he accepted being accused and punished on the cross. Mark 15:17-20
- Sometimes we are accused, offended – many times it’s better to say nothing. Romans 12:19
III. Look at yourself, if you can see and realize your own sin nature, that we are so wicked, I think that will help us to look at others better and be more humility. Romans 3:10-11
- Forgive people and accept apologies. encourage others, edify others. Ephesians 4:32 and I Thessalonians 5:11
If we would take a good look at our own heart, realize and see our own wickedness, then we would learn humility! Proverbs 15:33 – The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.